Alberta Learner's Class 7 Driver's License in Calgary
Class 7 Knowledge Test Eligibility
- Must be 14 years of age or older
- Must be a resident of Alberta
- Must be legally entitled to be and remain in Canada
- Must NOT be otherwise restricted from holding a driver’s license
Taking the Class 7 Knowledge Test
- Study with the online Driver’s Guide (the Government of Alberta no longer prints driver’s guides).
- Bring the Required Documents (see below) each time you take the test
- The cost for the test is $17.60 (includes GST)
- It must be done on the computer
- Only one test per day is permitted
- No appointment is required, but please arrive by 5 pm Monday-Friday and by 4 pm on Saturday.
- If you pass this test, we can issue you with a Class 7 Learner’s License. It will be an Interim License (paper copy with no photo) and the actual card will arrive in the mail in 2 weeks. There is no rush service available. The cost for a 5 year term license is $84.45.
As a learner driver, you are allowed to drive with an accompanying adult driver who holds a valid Alberta Class 5 (non-GDL) license.
Required Documents for Class 7 License
The role of the Alberta Registry Agent is to verify the identity, the legal presence and the residence of all individuals applying for Alberta Driver’s Licenses and ID Cards. In order to do this, we are required by the Government to ask for support documents. All documents must be original (no copies or certified copies), legible, in English and undamaged. A single document (i.e. Passport or PR Card) may be used to satisfy both Photo ID and Legal Status.
- Photo ID – allows us to establish your identity
- Legal Status in Canada – the Government of Alberta requires us to verify that you are legally entitled to be and remain in Canada before we can issue a Driver’s Lisence or ID Card to you
- Alberta Residence – you must be an actual residence of this province in order to apply for and hold an Alberta Driver’s License or ID Card. It is an offense to hold licenses or ID cards for more than one province or jurisdiction at a time.
Please note that if you are under the age of 18, you will need your parent or legal guardian to accompany you to the registry to take your knowledge test. The parent or guardian will also need to accompany you every time you want to re-class your license (i.e. when you pass the test and want to apply for the Class 7 or when you want to take the road test and apply for the Class 5 GDL).
If you do not pass the knowledge test the first time, go back to your clerk and ask the clerk to stamp your consent form so that you may return to the registry next time and show us the consent form without bringing a parent with you.
As with adults, the minor will need to show proof of legal status, identity and residence. If you have a passport or school ID (or other government-issued photo ID), please bring this in. If you don’t have these documents, bring your parent or legal guardian who can present his or her photo ID (Alberta Driver’s License is ideal) and vouch for your identity and residence. In any case, please also be prepared to show us your birth certificate or other document that confers legal status in Canada (PR card, citizenship certificate, etc.) We need to see these original documents each time you attempt the knowledge test.